Clinical manifestations of cataracts,DIAGNOSTIC EXAMINATION AND MANAGEMENT Cataracts
Clinical manifestations of cataracts
Cataracts were diagnosed primarily by subjective symptoms. Usually the client reported decreased visual acuity and glare as well as some degree of functional impairment caused by loss of vision before.
Objective findings usually include condensation pearly gray on the retina so that pupils will not be visible to the ophthalmoscope. When the lens has become opaque, fluorescent light will be transmitted instead of a shadow sharply focused on the retina. The result is blurred or dim pendangan, blinding irritating and hard to see the shadow distortion in the evening. Pupils are normally black will look gray or white.
DIAGNOSTIC EXAMINATION ON Cataracts
1. Snellen Eye Card / engine telebinokuler: may interfere with the damage the cornea, lens, akueus / vitreous humor, refractive error, nervous system diseases, sight to the retina.
2. Field Vision: decline may be due to the tumor mass, carotid, glaucoma.
3. Measurement Tonografi: IOP (12-25 mmHg)
4. Measurement Gonioskopi distinguish open angle of angle-closure glaucoma.
5. Provocative tests: determining the presence / type gllukoma
6. Ophthalmoscopy: examine internal ocular structures, optical plate atrophy, papilledema, bleeding.
7. CBC, LED: indicates anemia systemic / infection.
8. ECG, serum cholesterol, lipid
9. Glucose tolerance test: controls of DM
If the vision can be corrected with refractive powerful dilator pupil and to the point in which patients perform daily activities, the treatment is usually conservative.
Surgery is indicated for those who require acute vision for work or security. Usually indicated when the best corrected visual acuity that can be achieved is 20/50 or worse, when the sharpness of view affect the safety or quality of life, or the visualization of the posterior segment when it is necessary to evaluate the development of various diseases retina or optic nerve, such as diabetes and glaucoma.
There are 2 kinds of surgical techniques;
1. Cataract extraction intrakapsuler
Is the removal of the lens as a whole.
2. Cataract extraction ekstrakapsuler
Is the preferred technique and achieve up to 98% of cataract surgery. Microscopes are used to see the structure of the eye during surgery.